Thursday, October 27, 2011

TOUCH ME NOT

     By Russell Lee
      Dentist
        A  few years ago, I visited the Bato Caves in Malaysia during
Thaipusam.. It was a fascinating time. Although it wasn't entirely new
to me, having seen kavadis being carried in Singapore before, it was
nevertheless an awe-inspiring experience, particularly since the place
was much larger and there must have been thousands of Indians
there at the time.
         Though I am actually half-Indian, my family and I are Mormons.
I found the procession itself quite bizarre, but my children, both teen-
agers, insisted on revelling in the mystery of it all. They squeezed into
crowd and pressed their way to the front of the spectators to get a
better view.
         The Hindu followers trooped past.
         I had learnt a little about the rituals. The believers or Suibra-
maniam have to fast for sixteen days, during which they are counselled
and then hypnotised by their priest. On the day of Thaipusam, silver
wires, spears, needles and all sorts of sharp things will be attached to
their bodies. For some it is to prove their devotion, others to do
penance. The ashes of the dead will be smeared on the wounds. This
is said to invoke the assistance of the spirits in the ordeal these wor-
shippers would be undergoing.
          There at the Batu Caves the trial was fiercer than anywhere else.
All devotees not only had to endure the pain of self-mutilation, they had
to persevere and compel themselves to climb 272 steps leading up to
the temple! These people must have such overpowering faith.
         And I recall standing there, watching in awe. I suddenly caught
sight of my son, David, who reached out and touched one of the
believers passing by The boy had no respect for other religions. I was
about to call out to him to stop it. But David fell back instantly at the
contact. He shouted in pain.
         I rushed over to him. And be kept howling, while the worshippers
danced all around him in a trance. Then I looked at his hand. It was really
strange, for his fingers were scorched all over.
         I took him to a doctor in town, who simply prescribed an ordinary
ointment used for burns. I sensed that David's injury was more that just
that., My  intuition proved correct.
         That night, David just screamed in agony. He complained about his
hand hurting, as if his flesh was truly in flames. I was extremely worried,
but apart from praying there was little I could do. Perhaps in the morning,
I could take him to see another doctor.
         It continued till dawn. I was putting ice on the wound throughout the
night. At daybreak, David fell asleep abruptly. He looked as if he were
dead. I got rather frantic, but discovered he was in deep sleep. At least,
his breathing was slow and constant, and there was no fever.
         It was then I saw glowing golden smoke drift out of his fingers into
the air. It was a translucent, twirling shape, which dispersed into the at-
mosphere  like any natural gas.
         I now think it was the spiritual manifestation of a dead person that
I saw. It must have entered David's body when his hand touched the
ashes. That was why David felt such pain. It was a pain derived from that
Thaipusam pilgrim.
         Served David right. It was time he learnt to respect other religions.
I must say it was also an eye-opener for me.Now I know what a dead
person's soul can look like. There is only word for it Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment