Thursday, October 6, 2011

MONKEY BUSINESS

by: RUSSELL LEE
                    
Policeman, male, 34
      If you have a nephew who is a medium, you’ll
know how family relationships ncan be such a pain.
      This nephew loved kung-fu when he was young.
he always showed off in frfont of us when he came
to our house to visit. Later, he went around seaching
 for more skilful masters to improve himself.
      Ten years ago, the pugilistic troupe he was a mem-
ber of came to singapore to perform during the Seventh
Month. I was in Chinatoen then and I happened to be
passing by. I caught sight of him performing but he didn’t
see me. I saw him sit on this back roseweed chair and jump
up and down, with his fingers folded into some symbolic
shape. He kept mumbling something.
      Then, comething possessed him.
       I realised much later it was the Great Monkey God he had
called. He jumped around and scratched his neck like a
monkey. For show, he poured boiling oil on his body and
pressed a dagger  and spear against his throat. I was shocked
to see him go into sort of thing. It made me ashamed for the
family. So I didn’t really try to meet him 
      We haven’t met since.

No comments:

Post a Comment