Thursday, October 6, 2011

THE THIRD EYE

by: RUSSELL LEE

Policewoman, 35
      I once had a neighbour who lived in the HDB unit
next to ours. He was a very strange guy, who helped
out at the coffee xhop nearby. He had crewcut hair, a
wrinkled face, a very large head with protruding eyes
and a big oily mouth just like the character in the movie
E.T. I had always thought he looked extremely ugly.
      He not looked weird but also acted like an alien. He
did not much. He had this queer habit of looking at you as
If you were his enemy. He might look at you with another
expression another time, as if you were an out-of-the-way,
Ultra-special specimen, or as if you just weren’t there at all.
He was the kind you would avoid at first glance, thingking
he was insane.
      My sisters and I sometimes laughed at him. He did not
seem to dislike us for that, and we thought he didn’t
notice. But an elderly man caught us giggling at him. He
sternly told us to respect our neighbour. He tolde us JK, the
neighbour, could see ghosts.
      JK, he said, was born with the third eye, in the way of the
three-eyed god,Erlang Shen. JK could see the world not
meant for mortals. It was more of a curse than a blessing , for
such an ability not only tormented thee life of the person,
making it totally fearful and depressing, but also shortened
his life-span.Such chosen ones die young said the elderly man.
     Sure enough, JK died a few months later. Those who attended
his funeral. Held at the void deck of our block, whispered that he
was only twenty-nine at the time. I was astounded when I heard it,
for JK appeared much, much older. It was also that he died of natural
causes which didn’t soound at all natural to me, since he was not
so old.
      And there countless visitors discussing his special power. JK could see
ghosts clinging to certain places and persons, he could see if a location
was under spiritual influences, or if certain illnesses were due to the
Influence of harmful spirits.
      It was uncomfortable for me to suddenly hear that the person I so
despised actuallky possessed some sort of extrasensory power. It
futher gave me the creeps to hear my friend tell me: Oy, do you recall
he always had this thing about your pot of fasmine? He kept gazing
at it.
     I gave the pot away the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment