Thursday, November 3, 2011

A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW

    ByBussell Lee
       Hawker
          I know of this lady who lives somewhere in the upper Serangoon Road area,
you know, in one of those tiny bungalows in a labyrinth of lanes. She reads the future
by using Tarot cards.
          I was introduced to her by a friend. I was fascinated by these things, you see,
and I wanted to learn more about them.   went to her house. It was very dark inside.
She shut all the windows and doors. I wondered how she could stand the heat. The
room was very elaborately decorated, full of wall-hangings and ornaments. Some of
then looked exotic. And there was wonderful fragrance in the air, it came from some
kind of incense she was burning.
          Madam KK, this wore a pakistani veil and dress. But she was Eurasian. She
had these large black, eyes that wound stare unmovingly at you and made you feel
uncomfortable. She was an intimidating person.
          She told my fortune by reading the cards. There was a crystal ball on the
table too, but she didn't use it. She explained very patiently to me what all the
symbols ,meant, and their positions, what my future wound be like.
         Her predictions were very true. I went there five times and every time what
she foretold came to pass. She seemed to know many things about me. She was
quite amazing.
          I admired her so much I wanted to learn the skill of reading the Tarot from
her. But she said a person must have special capabilities to use them, and I hadn't
inherited the "gift". I asked what she meant by "special". Then she demonstrated.
She stood up and disappeared!
           It scared me so much because I knew only  ghosts could do things like that.
I didn't wait for her to return and quickly scampered out of the house. If you have
to be a ghost to learn the Tarot, then forget it!
          But I remembered to leave her something in this big glass bowl she kept by
the table. She said she used it to save up money to give to charity. I gave her
double the usual amount. I didn't want her knocking at my door, asking for her
fee.
         
       

No comments:

Post a Comment